Monday, April 2, 2012

The Growing Season

So, a few weeks ago, in the middle of March, our normally still quite cold weather decided to be 80 degrees and sunny for about a week straight. This meant for a delightful week of long after-work walks with my husband, early blooms of spring, and just the happy feeling that the first sunshine of spring provides.

And then....

It froze and everything died! Ok, well not everything. But all of our beautiful blooms lasted a few days and are now shriveled or gone. I did however get a few pictures of our beautiful tree out back before the cold spell.



In addition to the spring blooms, the warm weather prompted my husband and I (possibly somewhat prematurely) to plant some seeds inside that we can later plant in a garden outside. We did this last year with cucumbers, squash, and tomatoes and were quite successful. We might have to replant again before putting outside this year, but we already have some promising looking plants.

So far we've planted:
Squash
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Pickling Cucumber
Green Pepper
Broccoli
Watermelon
Canteloupe


I thinkk we're going to need to thin them out a bit, but I've never planted any sort of melon before so this should be an experience. I also bought seeds to plant chives, cilantro, spaghetti squash, and zucchini. I'm pretty excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment